Thursday, May 19, 2011

spring green

remember that crayon? remember the smell of that crayon? 
red violet.
 blue violet. and magenta.
red orange.
salmon pink.
each color by itself, brings pictures to the mind.
as a group,
the brand new box;
folding the lid back to reveal
the brightly colored points
with the flat tops ; and the s m e l l.

i like the smell of a pencil when it's freshly sharpened and the smell of new coloring books.
oh world! never change these things!

i actually liked the 48 box of crayons the best, but it didn't have a sharpener.

whenever we were invited to a birthday party, when we were kids, our mom made us give a coloring book and crayons.
i was always so embarrassed.
sorry mom.
it was a really good gift.

4 comments:

  1. this spring has been so colorfully vibrant, right out of the crayon box

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree! i was looking out my window when i wrote the title, not knowing that i would write about crayons! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about a new box of crayolas? My heart still does a leap when I open a new box (usually for a grandchild these days). After inhaling the lovely waxiness, I note the precision sharpness of each crayon, no two colors alike. I dream of of all the possibilites for creating, imaginative, great art. Or at staying in the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my gigi,
    YOU + I have the same brain!
    Cheers, my dear!

    ReplyDelete