Friday, April 29, 2011

the purpose of gratitude

this is a bit of a play on words in this particular context.
i have been meditating on 'my purpose' for some years now.
the kids are gone, and i've gotten pretty soft in the rump.
i'm in the autumn of my days and the question "what now?" keeps wiggling it's way into my cranium.

yesterday, i had the pleasure of spontaneous visitors. they came and ooooed and ahhhhed at my home and garden and studio. each one was genuinely glad to be there, and i just can't tell you how much it meant to me.
   
 i had been in one of my self-deprecating modes. i wanted to wear a sign that said 'POSER' with an interchangeble first letter 'L'.
when will i ever stop comparing myself to others?
when will i stop 'loathing' the body, the talent, the home, the life that God has blessed me with?
it is just shameful.
i realized this morning in my prayers, that my purpose (all of us actually) in this life, is to BE THANKFUL for ALL things.

i'm not just talking about positive thinking.
as we move in close to our heavenly Father (thankyou Jesus for making our way)
how can we do anything but praise Him who has given us all things through Christ!
even illness, and hardships are a way of leading us back to Him.

i know how i feel if one of my kids are truly grateful for something i've done.
it is an act of love for them to tell me.
how blessed is God to hear His own children say Thankyou.

and what does a grateful heart do to a person? and how does it ripple  away from his or her life onto others? can thankfulness be contagious?
thankfullness can bring light and clear thought, joy and even peace to a person who is sick or dying or depressed.
there are times to be sad and be sad with someone, but in thankfulness we can be changed.
i believe God made us to be thankful people.
it's so good for us!
here are a few things i'm thankful for-
friends who come by for a cup of tea, autoimmune hepatitis (it made me stop drinking so i could see the world!) chickens and kitties that follow me around the yard, my husband and how hard he works and loves my kids,
and i could go on and on and on. . .

thankfulness is better than any other medicine.


rejoice!









(and please pray for our neighbors who have been devastated by the tornados)


8 comments:

  1. I am one of the lucky ladies who happened to stop for a cuppa tea with YOU.
    You fill my heart & soul with so much more than chamomile and chocolate.

    Such an inspiration to me!
    Keep writing, so I can feel your thoughts and witness your deep faith!
    Carry on sister!
    x-x-x-x-x-x

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. LOVE your new spring colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thankyou love!

    i needed to patch in an addendum on this post.
    as i think about times of severe depression, disaster or desperation i know how hard it is to be thankful, but, i know that God provides the way for our sakes. if we ask Him to give us a thankful heart, He will do it and He will love doing it because, He loves us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! When I turned 50 I sat down to consider "Why me? Why did I get to live such an extraordinary life?" I found 5 things I directly attribute to my outcome one of which is being grateful. I'm not sure if sincere gratitude actually brings you more blessings, or if everyone has these blessings and just don't notice or value them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thankyou sunny!
    and your insight is mUcH appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think thankfulness does bring you more blessings. What you focus on grows. when I am thankful I am immediately blessed, so maybe Thanksgiving IS a blessing! I believe the psalmist knew something when he wrote, "Enter His courts with thanksgiving in you heart". Paul knew something too when he wrote, " Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God and His peace will guard your heart and mind. God's gifts to us are His peace and joy and so much more. While the enemy wants to rob and destroy those gifts.
    It is true that I am a wretched sinful person(he says) but THE TRUTH is Jesus loved me so much He died and paid the price for ALL my wretchedness and I am completely forgiven and I am forever restored to His presence both now and forever (HE says).
    Thank you God, Thank you Jesus, Thank you Holy Spirit. Thank you Gigi for reminding me what I am thankful for!

    ReplyDelete